The Student Success Internship Program is designed to:
- Create collaboration between undergraduate students and the campus's administration to prepare and enhance students’ career development.
- Involve students in the operation and development of the campus by drawing on student talent to contribute to the campus community.
- Provide students with learning, leadership and managerial experiences, as well as opportunities to enhance teambuilding, communication, time management and delegation skills under the guidance of administrative personnel.
- Advance the mentoring department unit with UC Merced student talent in the development and implementation of projects that will benefit future UC Merced populations.
- Provide opportunities for student interns to build experience and skills related to his/her career goals and integrate them with their academic learning.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Listed below are the general student learning outcomes for the Student Success Internship Program. Each project needs to meet one or more of the following options based on the proposed project.
Through the work on this project, students will learn:
Integrate Theory into Practice: Articulate connections between student's project experience and coursework across the curriculum.
Career Discernment: Develop an understanding of the type of working environment, field, and industry that align with individual short- and long-term career goals.
Academic Success: Demonstrate ability to apply academic concepts to community/profession issues and concepts of community/profession issues to academic learning, alongside the development of professional skills.
Civic Responsibility: Develop capacity to express an understanding of issues within the community/profession and the responsibility to participate in democratic processes to work toward positive changes.
Intercultural Fluency: Value, respect, and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and religions. The individual demonstrates, openness, inclusiveness, sensitivity, and the ability to interact respectfully with all people and understand individuals’ differences.
Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Exercise sound judgement to analyze issues, make decisions, and solve problems.
Oral/Written Communications: Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to individuals inside and outside of the organization.
Teamwork/Collaboration: Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and clients representing diverse cultures and viewpoints.
Digital Technology: Leverage existing digital technologies efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals.
Leadership: Leverage the strengths of others to achieve common goals, and use interpersonal skills to coach and develop others.